ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 15:21:50 EST

<<With MC trailing 2-0, a long shot rang off the crossbar that Merrimack
thought was a goal.  I was looking at the goal straight on, but from the
other end of the ice.  It clearly hit the crossbar/post, but neither the
goal judge or the referree called it a goal despite MC raising their sticks
in celebration.  In fact MC stopped playing for a few moments, while Maine
brought the puck up ice.

Honey - that sucker went in.  I clearly saw net over the black of the puck as
it hit the BACK crossbar, as did the folks around me in the section that is
directly behind Alfie.  Coach Walsh said after the game that it was probably
Rich Britt's spirit which got that one called "No-Goal"!

AND while we are on the subject of that game - I want to say a BIG THANKS to
the members of the UMaine Pep Band who didn't leave their teams in the lurch
during student break, stayed and played their hearts out at that game.  What a
HUGE difference it makes to have them there!  And rest of the students -
terrific!

I wonder - has anyone started fundraising for the band to go to Boston for the
Hockey East Tournament- if we make it?  The FMH can no longer appropriate
dollars to send them, as we have in the past, because all net proceeds we
raise must go to the team's scholarship, equipment and travel needs, but the
UMaine Pep Band is clearly an advantage.  Any people out there who can help?
Let's get something in place ASAP!

Cathy Hart
Proud Volunteer for the Finest College Hockey Program in the Nation