ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Lindsay A Huntoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 19:51:49 -0500
Dan and I made the trip north to the Alfond on Saturday night to see the
game.  Boy did we have a great time.  We were sitting amongst the BC fans
(as we got our tickets from someone with BC connections) -- fortunately
there were Maine fans on either side of us.  The person sitting in front of
us, however, was a much different story.  To say that he was slightly drunk
was a major understatement (his face was as red as BU's road jersey).  Dan
and I were very vocal in our support of the Black Bears, and this caused
our "friend" to get slightly upset.  He was very generous, though, and
wanted to know if we wanted any cheese with our "w(h)ine".  Dan offered him
the cheese from our nachos, which caused us to learn a few new words.

All in all, a bad weekend for BC sports -- the men's and women's hockey
team lost; and my alma mater (Rutgers) overcame a ten point half time
deficit to beat them in basketball.

Comments on the game and the crowd:

* The team showed what they're made of to come back from a 2 goal deficit.
I think the time out called by Walsh during the second period caused
momentum to swing in the Black Bears' favor.

* Alfie looked tentative at the start of the game, but really pulled it
together.

* BC really shot themselves in the foot by their lack of discipline.  They
got called for a penalty at least three times while playing four on four.

* The crowd was amazing, and in my opinion, really seemed to help the team
come back.  We were sitting in Section I, and the noise was deafening at
times.  Great idea to seat the students and the band in the balcony.  By
the way, I was REALLY impressed with the pep band -- they sounded
fantastic.

*  Looked like Coach Walsh was standing ON TOP OF THE DASHERS at times when
he was chatting with his players or the officials (or were my eyes
deceiving me).  I kept wondering what would happen if he fell!!

I would have to say that this was definitely the most fun I had at a game,
college or pro, this year.

ON TO ANAHEIM!!!!!!!!!

Lindsay A. Huntoon
Go Black Bears