From:
"Robert L. Dunn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert L. Dunn
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 11:34:51 -0400
On Tue, 25 Jul 1995, Mike Machnik wrote:

> I tend to prefer JohnH's view that actual honors such as number retiring
> should be reserved for graduates.
>
> On the other hand, what about the case where an SA unexpectedly passes
> away while still in school - and before graduating?  I don't think any
> of us would argue if Dartmouth chose to honor Sarah Devens after the
> awful tragedy that just took place.  In fact, I think many would be
> disappointed if they did not do something.  At the least, it might
> help in the healing process of her family and friends.

I agree with this "emergency" or "special case" provision on the honoring
of players.  The only football number retired at my alma mater, the
University of California, is the #12 worn by All-American QB Joe Roth who
succumbed to cancer his senior year in 1976.  Didn't Ole Miss retire
Chuckie Mullins' jersey after he was paralyzed in a football game
a couple years ago?

Only the most exceptional student-athletes deserve to be honored.  In
addition to being exceptional athletes, they should also be outstanding
students and a positive asset to the campus community.  For most, this
means completing their studies and earning their degree.  But not
everyone is as fortunate; sometimes time runs out.

---
Robb Dunn                                          |GO BEARS!
The University of Michigan                         [log in to unmask]
Division of Kinesiology/Department of Athletics    |W: 313-764-9429
Sport Facilities Research Laboratory               |   313-764-4597 FAX