EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:38:09 -0500
Some guys want it all, don't they?  But liberty is a relative thing, and
the West (in general) has relatively more than any other civ has ever
enjoyed.  Don't piss on it, bro.
==Dan

At 09:24 AM 02/13/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 2/13/03 1:04:43 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:
>

> > Are we willing to give up our way of life?
> >

>Which aspect of our way of life is it that you want to save? Unlimited access
>to products that make our 'life-style' more convenient (SUVs, etc.)?. Not at
>the cost of the blowback that likely will ensue from this war.   No, thank
>you, ma'am.
>Our 'liberties'?   Putting aside the fact that in the age of happy news and
>advertising these liberties are largely illusory despite the best wishes of
>the framers of the B. of Rights, Ashcroft is willing to abridge/incinerate
>them in order to get what he and his ilk have wanted all along: a racist,
>totalitarian power.   As lunatic left as that sounds, you're not too
>open-eyed-observant if you can't see that it's true.
>Of course Saddam's a dangerous nut.   Bravo for recognizing that.   Hell, his
>best friends and closest advisors think that.   Are there other methods
>besides what Uncle Rummy has in mind?   Certainly there are, and if you think
>they are unlikely (ie expanded surveillance, a real alliance, international
>intelligence cooperation, some sabre rattling, real negotiation, and other
>civilized measures), at least admit that Bush has zero interest in exploring
>them, for the simple reason that the cost of the war goes directly into the
>pockets of the defense contractors (wonder who they are? Carlisle Corp. etc).
>   They want this moolah, so they want this war.   To say nothing of the oil
>interests.   They get obscene defense spending and oil, and abridged civil
>liberties, and the impression to the rest of the world that if you look at us
>cross-eyed we'll pay a visit (Wolfowitz-wet-dream).
>
>No, it wasn't a military coup that put this fool in office, it was a judicial
>coup.   Please try to deny that the Supreme Court had no justifiable
>jurisdiction in the Fla. case.
>
>And DPearlman: Liberals, whatever the hell that means anymore, have no need
>for this lesson.   It's the same lame mindless dither that pretends to be
>felt argument.   It's nonsense, and now it's dangerous.
>
>Jay Anania

Dan Pearlman's home page:
http://pages.zdnet.com/danpearl/danpearlman/

My new fiction collection, THE BEST-KNOWN MAN IN THE WORLD AND OTHER
MISFITS, may be ordered online at http://www.aardwolfpress.com/
"Perfectly-crafted gems": Jack Dann, Nebula & World Fantasy Award winner

Director, Council for the Literature of the Fantastic:
http://www.uri.edu/artsci/english/clf/

OFFICE:
Department of English
University of Rhode Island