ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 08:11:10 EST
It was great to hear Joe Carr mention the game was produced by Old
Town's Lincoln Kenney.  Lincoln works there in Manchester, I believe,
(producing TV, etc.).  He and his dad Ed are great Maine hockey fans and
go to all the Frozen Fours.

We don't need any more reasons to appreciate the great coverage Joe and
partner Mike Tuell give our TV games, but I think we got it by now and
again hearing the mindless drivel of the UNH announcers, including
trying to make Lanny Gare say something bad about Maine (Lanny, to his
credit, "didn't bite").

Not much of a positive on the game that Maine's 4th line had some of the
best shifts, is it?

But for the the turnovers Jon mentioned, the game was quite even, with
some periods of time even, some with Maine dominance and some with UNH
dominance.  Overall, I thought the game was much like the game at Orono,
with UNH having a sense of either being better or playing better ...
with the game score not necessarily descriptive of how one team or the
other played.  Ayers left rebounds, but Maine was not there to
capitalize last night.

I thought UNH kind of sat back for the 1st 10 minutes of the game and
Maine dominated.  When UNH pressured Maine, they were often successful
...  and at other times, Ayers was up to the task.

Maine turned it up at other times in the game, but never could gain an
advantage on the scoreboard.

On another front .. Nico starts in the AHL AllStar game tonight in
Portland.

cheers, wayne