ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 09:36:00 -0700
7bit
From:
Dean Vinke <[log in to unmask]>
 Hey All,

 I found this on the wire this morning, and I though that some of you might
be interested!

 Dean V.

================

Jan 25, 2003

Devils acquire LW Kariya from Canucks for D Jokela

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Ticker) - With six forwards under 6-feet
already on the roster, the New Jersey Devils got a little smaller Friday
when they acquired left wing Steve Kariya from the Vancouver Canucks for
defenseman Mikko Jokela.

The younger brother of Anaheim superstar Paul, the 5-7 Kariya appeared in 65
games with the Canucks over three seasons, recording nine goals and 27
points. The 25-year-old had 14 goals and 28 points in 37 games with
Vancouver's AHL affiliate in Manitoba.

"I would like to thank Steve Kariya for his professionalism with the
Vancouver Canucks organization, and we wish him good luck with New Jersey,"
Vancouver general manager Brian Burke said.

Selected by New Jersey in the fourth round of the 1998 draft, Jokela
appeared in 43 games with the Albany River Rats of the AHL, collecting eight
goals and 19 points with 28 penalty minutes. The 22-year-old Finn will
report to Manitoba.