EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Richard Seddon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:23:44 -0700
Tim:

No, but only because I only dimly understand it myself.  I think the English
concept of "Parish" is ultimately an earthy immediate self-identification
with a small group.  I think it concerns a cultural analogue to genetics
where the past is replicated in or at least directs the present   Hegel's
idea of the "World Mind" is tied in.  Pound, of course, also held similar
but different views.  Eliot's "The Idea of a Christian Society" is a place
to start.  It can be read as Hegelian with Christian specifics.   Any
understanding of Eliot's conversion has to recognize that Eliot was also a
brilliant first rank philosopher, every bit Russell's equal.  Since I
"can't" even Kant yet I've got quite a row to hoe.   No, I have not yet been
able to read Eliot's dissertation.

Don't let the above mislead you into thinking that I am saying that Eliot
was Georgian.  He most certainly was not.  His concept of roughing it was
probably a hotel with a separate restaurant.  I am only saying that the
concept of "Parish" and its analogue in genetics was a contributor to
Eliot's conversion.

An insight to "possum physic" is this.  For Christmas 1912 Eliot gave his
mother a copy of Henri Bergson's "The Introduction To a New Philosophy".  He
inscribed it "Mother-from Tom- with much love, Christmas 1912".  Now, she
certainly was a remarkable woman but this is a different Christmas present
to one's mother for sure.  Anyone who has tried Bergson will certainly
appreciate how remarkable a gift it was.

If you are deeply interested in all this I think I have the email address of
an Anglican clergyman who has studied Eliot's use of Hegel and Eliot's
concepts of a Christian society.  If you would like and I can find it I
would be glad to send him your edress for him to contact you.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM