EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tom White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 08:28:38 -0600
(I thought I sent this message way back in December but just discovered it
unsent in my drafts. Hope it's still pertinent.)

My guess, off the top as they say, (and I have just read the essays in
Impact) is that Pound wouldn't (couldn't) fault much S. says as description,
but the underlying tone of exultation in the advance of the inevitable, in
triumphant "Destiny," etc., is the kind of thing he didn't like in S., whom
he someplace said wasn't a patch on Frobenius, at least when it came to
Germans. The most heartwarming thing about Pound (to me) is that he never
accepted anything as "inevitable" while breath lasted, in other words while
men of intelligence and good will could be energized to fight for the right.
This very much an instant reaction. Will be interested to see what others
say. Tom White