EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 13:28:18 -0500
Thanks, Jay, for the heads up; but someone told me that there is now a very
active Horatio Alger list; and I'm thinking of going over there before
Stoner finds out about it and decides to "democratize" it for the benefit of
school children. The sexual imagery of Alger's "Ragged Dick", "Strong and
Steady", "Bound to Rise", "Slow and Sure", "Shifting for Himself", "Phil the
Fiddler", "Struggling Upward", "Joe's Luck", "A Cousin's Conspiracy", "Sam's
Chance", "The Cash Boy" and "The Young Salesman" has almost totally been
overlooked. There may be political implications of a pseudo pre-fascistic
nature there too. And we have known for some time now that these "books"
were clandestine training manuals for the future economic/political elite.
Bush may have given book reports on several of them while at Yale.
    I probably should have said "jerk" rather than "asshole". Sorry, James,
and thanks for the picture. While you don't look very Oriental there's
plenty there for the physiognomer who would most likely advise you that you
are looking for love in all the wrong places.

Qui non intelligit aut taceat, aut discat.
Charles