EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:38:29 -0600
From:
Jon & Anne Weidler <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
It seems to me that contributing to this list carries with it the
danger of unseemly argument.  Veteran Pound readers and list
contributors have for the most part done their jobs well, and have been
quite helpful and informative, but some have also been quick to flex
rhetorical muscles against whomever offers a target.  I personally am
sick of the Tim Romano / Francis Gavin "irony" debate, and am not
interested in reading such ad hominem polemics, at least, not when they
were not written by EP himself.

There's no need on the other hand for me or anyone else to make some
sort of "let's stay on task" plea.  Personally, I don't mind the
silence this list is prone to (though I'm hesitant to call such silence
"satori".)  I much prefer infrequent but interesting list-traffic over
the rhetorical bladder-spilling that often here takes the place of
honest discussion.  In short, please stop misunderestimating satori on
my bandwidth.  Write nothing when nothing presents itself, and stop
mistaking peoples' posts for threats, offenses or prompts to nastiness.

Here's a funny poem made entirely of direct presidential quotations, to
prove I'm not just a sourpuss.  (I should admit at the outset that I
did not compile this poem; if anyone knows its "author" (editor?),
please let me know.)

"Make the Pie Higher", by George W. Bush

"I think we all agree, the past is over.
This is still a dangerous world.
It's a world of madmen and uncertainty
and potential mental losses.

Rarely is the question asked
Is our children learning?
Will the highways of the Internet become more few?
How many hands have I shaked?

They misunderestimate me.
I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity.
I know that the human being and the fish can coexist.
families is where our nation finds hope, where
our wings take dream.

Put food on your family!
Knock down the tollbooth!
Vulcanize Society!
Make the pie higher! Make the pie higher!"

Take care-
Jon W.