MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Kennedy, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kennedy, Felicia
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 11:26:02 -0400
Currently there are 55 libraries who have not submitted their Public
Library Annual Report.  These libraries are now 1 month delinquent.
These libraries range in all population sizes so we're not talking just
small, volunteer run libraries.

These reports are collected every year and are sent out at approximately
the same time every year and have the same deadline every year.  I
understand there are sometimes extenuating circumstances so a library
can't meet the deadline.  I do understand.  I know how busy you all are.
But I also know this information is important and valued and I'm not
sure everyone appreciates what this data has done and can do for the
library community.  It is important for every library - no matter how
busy they are - to make the annual report a priority and get it in on
time.

No one is expected to go before the legislature or before their local
town government without data and simply say "Because I want it."  You
need proof to back up your case - whatever it may be.  Not only do I
support legislative initiatives at the state level, but I get countless
requests at the local level from library directors who need statistical
information to take before their towns or their governing boards.  The
library community needs your time and your support.  Please get your
annual report in today.

Thank you,

Felicia

Felicia Kennedy

Maine State Library

64 State House Station

Augusta, ME  04333-0064

207-287-5620 or  (Maine only) 1-800-322-8899