MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Karl Beiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Beiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:19:25 -0400
[This message has been posted to multiple mailing lists.  Apologies for
duplication.]

I have just given my notice to the Maine Info Net Board and will be retiring
from my Maine Info Net position effective May 31.  I have a twinge of regret
at not being able to see a number of things to fruition.  However, after
long thought I have concluded that I am effectively burned out and need a
change.  I can no longer muster the energy to focus on new and challenging
projects in a manner with which I would be satisfied.  After 33 years in
libraries, I need a real change.  [Exit right with smile on face.]

I am pleased to have been able to assist in the initial formation of the
Maine Info Net organization, a powerful partnership supported by staff and
funds from both the Maine State Library and the University of Maine System.
Working in cooperation with Maine libraries, Maine Info Net offers a focus
for combining digital library and online service efforts in a way that will
benefit library users and libraries statewide.

Looking ahead, one sees waves of change.  Some have already arrived at our
shores. Others are still a few years away, but clearly bearing down.
Hopefully, Maine Info Net will continue to develop, perhaps as a lighthouse
from which to get a clearer view of the future.  Perhaps as a boatbuilding
shop in which to construct the means of navigating changes in our user base,
user expectations, our economic support, and the possibilities for providing
new and/or better services along the way.

(Apologies for the impromptu metaphors.)

I look forward to pursuing a number of side interests outside the library
field.  I probably will also be doing a bit of consulting, arcane
bibliographic data work and perhaps some writing.  Building a cabin in the
woods is on the agenda somewhere.  I will likely continue to hang-out on
MELIBS-L, though.  There are library technologies that continue to interest
me as geeky playthings, if for no other reason.

Between now and May 31 I will try to wind up a number of undertakings that
are currently in limbo, as well as push forward several of the Maine Info
Net pilots that many of you will find interesting when they surface.

I take this opportunity, however, to thank all of you in the Maine library
community with whom I have worked in various capacities over the years - for
your interest in  the projects I have worked on, for your support, for your
patience and understanding when things didn't happen as fast as all of us
would have liked, and in general for being extraordinarily good people to
work with.  I may be biased (what do you think?), but I know of no more
public-spirited, service-oriented, well-intentioned, enthusiastic and
persistent group of individuals than one finds within Maine's library
community.  Thank you for the privilege of working with you over the years.

Best regards,

Karl

--

Karl Beiser