ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
The Chesleys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 08:55:06 -0400
Hey People!

How about Dustin Penner?!!!

Has anyone been watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs?   There is some great
hockey being played!  And I'm really really enjoying watching Dustin!
He is a real presence in front of the net and he's been working his tail
off!   He hasn't been getting many points lately but he sure did a great
job blocking Hasek's vision of the puck in the series with the Red
Wings.

The finals start Monday night on Versus at 8:00 Eastern Daylight Time.
http://www.versus.com/nhl/

Here's some reading if you're interested:

http://www.mightyducks.com/team/bio.php?id=52

http://www.mightyducks.com/

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/topstory/story/3973883p-4589465c
.html
4. Can a kid who was cut three times by his local junior team get a
ring? Unlike Selanne, now in the twilight of a sterling career,
Winkler's Dustin Penner, the Ducks late-blossoming power forward, is
just 24. Not only that, the 6-foot-4 Penner -- along with Ryan Getzlaf
and Corey Perry -- are considered the Ducks' future. Penner scored 29
goals in his first full season and has two more in the playoffs (with
three assists), so it will be fun to see if a kid who couldn't make the
Winkler Flyers in three tries actually wins a Stanley Cup.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-spw-duckrep23may23,1,16767
50.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports
The Ducks' Dustin Penner, who has not scored a point since his goal
against Vancouver in the second round of the playoffs on April 29,
played one of his best games of the playoffs on Tuesday.

Although he did not play the type of minutes he did over the first two
games of the Western Conference finals - when he played 16:07 and 19:35
respectively - Penner made his presence felt around the net where he did
a better job of using his 6-foot-4, 243-pound size.

"I think Dustin Penner, as we've talked about numerous times, he's a
high and a low type of guy," Coach Randy Carlyle said. "We're trying to
get him to be more on an even keel. I think with him it's about
offensive zone time and controlling the puck down low.

"He's a big man. When he's on the top of his game, that's where he's
most effective. He can earn a living down low and in front of the net.
That's the type of player he has to be. He can't lose puck battles or
possession. And that's where at this particular time we think there's
some room for improvement. We've talked to him about it. But he's been
an outstanding player, a young player for our hockey club all year.
Scored 29 goals for us."

In Game 6, Penner was at his best when he hooked up with linemate Corey
Perry, who scored to give the Ducks a 2-0 lead in the first period.
Penner was in the middle of the play by getting in front of Detroit
goaltender Dominik Hasek.

"As a team, we've been trying to do that throughout the playoffs and
over the first two rounds, all you heard from the goalies is that they
hadn't seen so much traffic before," Penner said before the game. "It's
something that we can be better at as a team, for myself as well.
Knocking pucks down and getting rebounds.

"It's really a tough job because you're trying to look over your
shoulder to see where Hasek is leaning and at the same time trying to
dodge a 90-mph slap shots from people like [Chris] Pronger. Then you're
up there trying to tip it while getting cross-checked in your teeth."