ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 19:23:46 -0700
Dan Lichterman Named Women's Ice Hockey Coach
Will lead Black Bears for 2007-08 Season

May 22, 2007

ORONO, Maine - University of Maine Athletic Director Blake James
announced today that Dan Lichterman has been named the head coach of
the women's ice hockey program. Lichterman has spent the last four
seasons as assistant coach at Minnesota State University.

"We are pleased to introduce Dan as our new head coach," said Blake
James. "I am confident that we will see continued success both
academically and athletically with our women's ice hockey program."

"I am extremely excited to be coming to a great hockey school like the
University of Maine," said Dan Lichterman. "I am very eager to get
started in preparation for next season. I thank athletic director Blake
James and the search committee for this great opportunity to lead this
program into the future."

At Minnesota State, Lichterman worked primarily with the team's
defensemen and designed the defensive systems and penalty kill. He also
coordinated all team travel and was responsible for video analysis. In
the competitive WCHA, which produced the last seven NCAA Champions, the
Mavericks were fifth in the conference with a record of 16-18-2 in
2006-07.

Prior to joining Minnesota State, Lichterman developed a new five-team
girl's hockey organization, the Chicago Chill. While in Chicago, he was
also the Hockey Director at the Fox Valley Ice Arena and an assistant
coach of the Chicago Freeze. The head coach of the Chicago Freeze was
current Maine men's assistant hockey coach Guy Perron.

Lichterman began his coaching career as a member of the Robbinsdale
Armstrong High School coaching staff. A Minnesota native, Lichterman
was an all-conference selection at St. Louis Park High School. He
earned two letters in hockey at the University of St. Thomas and
graduated with a degree in journalism in 1995. Lichterman and his wife,
Shari, have a son Aaron.

Lichterman replaces Lauren Steblen, who served as interim head coach
for the 2006-07 season. The 2007-08 season will begin with a two-game
series against Sacred Heart at Alfond Arena on September 29 and 30. For
more information on Maine Athletics, please visit www.GoBlackBears.com.