ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
The Chesleys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:58:42 -0400
Thanks Bob!  You just put it all into perspective for me.

And the theory that I came up with is this:

Many people watch sports and primarily concentrate on one team, usually
the team that they are pulling for. And this is understandable
especially for younger* people because their concentration is very
intense on their team.  And because they are concentrating on that one
team they only see them winning or loosing.  They don't see very clearly
what the other team is doing especially if the other team is winning the
game.   They see their team being dominated and it looks like their
players are not playing hard enough or well enough. They don't see how
hard the other team is working or that they are making great plays. They
see their team making poor plays because they couldn't stop the great
play. They see their team making great shots and their goalie making
great saves but if the other team makes a great shot and scores, what
they see is their goalie failing to make the save.  If the other teams'
forward makes a great move and gets by the defense they see their
defense not playing well rather than the great move by the opposing
forward.

My advice to get over this malady is to actually lace up some skates and
get a stick and a puck and get out on the pond.  Or the neighborhood
rink if you have one.  When you're on the ice and you get burned you
appreciate very quickly when the other guy makes a great play.  After
all, it isn't you that sucks so much as it's the other guy that's so
good.

The other thing to do to help is to watch a bunch of hockey just for the
appreciation of this great sport.  To do this watch games where the
outcome doesn't matter to you or doesn't matter very much.  Even youth
hockey games are fun.  Or Juniors, or AHL, or high school or college.
It's all good!

Clair '71

*Under 30.  :)