ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
The Chesleys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:15:00 -0400
So if Merrimack was up 2-0 on Maine and Maine came back to win would you
say that Merrimack choked?  (Merrimack who was 3-22-2 this year.)  Are
you defining "choke" as getting ahead and then loosing regardless of the
relative strengths of the two teams?

Barry Melrose and I both saw Maine get up on Michigan State because they
caught them with their pants down.  Once MS picked up their game they
dominated.  They were better.  Barry agrees.  They didn't win because
Maine played poorly.  They won because they played great.  Barry agrees
with that too.   I don't get why there is so much energy to blame Maine
coaching and players when they loose and when they play a clearly
superior team.  Michigan played their same game against BC and
dominated.  Did anyone watch that game?  BC was a great team this year.
They played a great game.  But they played a better team and they know
it.  The Maine players and coaches also know that they played a better
team.  No one on the Maine or BC teams is ashamed of their tournament.
They are disappointed but they are not ashamed.  And I'm not ashamed
either.  Choking IS something to be ashamed of and to feel bad about.
Neither Maine nor BC choked.  I feel great about my team and their
season.  I'm proud of them that they played so well.  I'm disappointed
too but I'm a lot more proud than disappointed.

This isn't the Mighty Ducks you know.  There isn't usually a way to beat
a superior team.  Don't take a great tournament and championship away
from Michigan State that they clearly deserve by saying that Maine
and/or BC choked.

Clair '71