ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 10:38:05 -0700
I think one can continue to support the program and be a fan without
being naive to the fact that Grant Standbrook is probably the single
most significant figure to its success (and that includes Shawn Walsh,
whom you all know I held in high regard).  (Also the guy who probably
gets the least credit in print.)

That said, this day was inevitable.

The real challenge will be to find someone who has the ability to
evaluate talent and sell the University of Maine effectively. (Oh, and
be able to make an offer to them that is attractive enough for them to
come to UMaine).

The fear that I have is not the next few years.  Maine has continued to
have a strong years with NCAA Tournament appearances and Frozen Fours,
etc.  We will continue to be strong with the base of talent that has
been assembled.  It should be easy to sell that tradition.

However, should we miss the tournament for a couple years or otherwise
take a step back, taking the shine off of that tradition a little bit,
will the new recruiting coordinator be able to sell Maine?  This is
where Grant was awesome IMHO, because he could always sell Maine.  I
know that we are all aware of our limitations compared to other schools
(financially, facilities, etc.) and that is no small thing.

I hope that the University of Maine does not take an arrogant approach
as they consider Grant's replacement.  You can't just stick anyone in
that position and expect them to succeed.  Someone with a track record
of being able to evaluate talent, good contacts, etc. is needed here.
If UMaine just decides to plug Dan Kerluke (sorry Dan) or some other
young kid in there, then I stick by my original "headline" that we will
witness the fall from grace for this program.

I hope I am wrong.  I want to be proven wrong.  I want to see the
program carry on its tradition.  I'm just not going to minimize the
impact of Grant Standbrook has had on our success.

-Deron