ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Chesley, Clair" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:32:07 -0400
Very well said Dan!  I agree 100%.

-----Original Message-----
From: The Maine Hockey Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Dan Doucette
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 10:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: never hurts to try

One point to those who say "no games in Portland", I only throw this
scenario to you, stated slightly different from an earlier post of mine:

If a new arena is built in Portland, and Maine wants to be the host of a
NC$$ hockey Tournament regional there (as Manchester did with U of No
Hardware as the host), the committee in Indianapolis will likely insist that
Maine play at least ONE regular season game every year in the new Portland
arena to make its Tournament bid legitimate.

The "Portland once a year" scheduling is likely permanent, this year with
two games may be an anomaly.  I don't think UMaine will ever go to having NO
games in Portland, much to the consternation of some on this list.

I would like to see the two-game scheduling become a constant, with the goal
of it being a good base upon which to develop a fan support when and if a
new arena becomes a reality in Portland and we have a chance at hosting a
Regional.  Of course, it can all backfire (see the host's 4-1 loss in
Manchester last year to Michigan in the Tournament).

Dan -
there for Game 1 and watched in person Maine's victory in Anaheim