ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
nonni daly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:49:53 -0400
> So are season ticket prices reduced given the two games in Portland?  If
> they are not I would imagine that the proceeds from the ticket sales from
> the CCCC will more than make up for the cost of travel from Orono to
> Portland and back.

As was posted, the packages were offered to season ticket holders with or
without Portland tickets ...

> PS:  I knew I should have left the 'taxpayer' issue out of my previous
> diatribe.
> However there are almost certainly more Maine hockey fans within traveling
> distance to the CCCC than there are season ticket holders.  Come on Nonni,
> give us a break down here. You can still travel to Portland to see the
> games.  Most of us can't go to games in Orono because the season ticket
> holders have almost all of the seats tied up!  It's only two games!  Don't
> be so selfish!

Well, I have to assume you forgot to append the little smiley face after
this last sentence ...
    There may well be more Maine hockey fans within traveling distance to
the CCCC than there are season ticket holders.  After all, the Alfond only
holds 5600 for hockey and sells out about every game.  Where are all those
Portland area fans when Maine plays at the CCCC?  Oh, sorry, forgot -- the
opponent wasn't worthy of their precious time.
     The season ticket holders have all the seats tied up because it is
those local season ticket holders who have helped to pay the bills and
support the program for going on 28 years ... now that the team is a
perennial national contender, we continually have to hear the whining of the
Precious Portlanders that they "deserve" to have more games down there.
Where were they in the mid-80's?  Oh, sorry, forgot I asked that one before.
    Only two games?  When do we get to "only three games" -- or "four" -- or
"half of the season should be played in Portland in the new megarink".
Kinda like letting the nose of the camel under the tent, isn't it?  Next
thing you know you are knee deep in camel dung!
    Orono is the home of the Black Bears, irrespective of sport.  A game per
sport at another venue is enough to ask of a bunch of kids who travel major
distances to play half of their games each season.  They are still students
with full-time academic responsibilities, too.  They feed off the local fans
and appreciate the support they get.  Quite frankly, I have heard more than
one, in more than one sport, talk about the fans who sit on their hands in
Portland ...
So, I have no problem with my take on this and fail to see why any of it is
"selfish"
And, no, I didn't leave off the smiley face ...
Nonni