ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
nonni daly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:45:35 -0400
> And don't forget, the University of Maine is a Maine taxpayer supported
> institution.  Maine taxpayers should have equal access to all events
> including hockey.

Aw, c'mon!  Where were all these stellar southern Maine bleeding blue
taxpayers BEFORE Maine was a national power ... ???  I don't remember any
hue-and-cry for attention from the Portland area in the 1984-85 season when
we won 12 games -- or the 1985-86 season when we won 11 ...  Now that Maine
is a "quality team" -- they need to be spread around?  What's next -- a
league game at the Forum in Presque Isle?  We've been playing "if you build
it, they will come" with at least five sports in Portland for years and, FOR
THE MOST PART, they just aren't coming!

Look, I don't have any problem taking A GAME in all sports to Portland
because of the population base and the number of alums and donors.  If
support is high and stays that way, all the better.  If not, don't take the
athletes away from their REAL home venue, their own beds, their own
routines, their own home advantage.

And, that's from another person who went to Maine before they had hockey.
Am bowing out of the golden stream now, thank you :)