ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:00:50 -0500
Congrats to the Black Bears on a fantastic weekend.

Observations from TV viewing:

1.  Maine is winning faceoffs again.  Winning more than you lose is one key
to the game that was not so earlier in the year.

Curious that the Maine "official" hockey site doesn't post the faceoff stats
for several games I checked, so I checked the Hockey East league website to
be sure.

Looking at a couple of the weaker Maine performances this season, I saw in
the Florida tournament in two losses, Maine lost over 50 % of faceoffs.  In
the nil-nil draw at Matthews, Maine lost more faceoffs than they won 28-30.
 Both games this weekend, however, they won more faceoffs than their
opponents, as the NESN graphics showed.

2.  The transition game is back.  Maine is starting the play up the ice much
more quickly and effectively out of their defensive zone than I observed
earlier in the year.  Cement skates have been traded in fortunately.

On those two points, these improvements mean the offense can more easily
score the few more goals than the nation's most stingy defence gives up.

3.  Finally, the recent performance of Maine's 4th line is most pleasing.
You will see in the Tournament that some schools will field squads only one
or two lines deep, the opponents can therefore ease up when a team
substitutes deep onto their bench.  Maine has legitimate two-way players
very deep on the bench now down to their fourth line, and Coach won't
shorten the bench up in tight games unlike some other coaches I've seen (hi
Jerry !!)

All in all, the Tournament draw is very good for Maine.

I'm just jumping for joy that Dick Umile's mildcats drew Michigan.  All I
can say to that:

Montoya is better than Ayers
Red Berenson is better than Dick Umile
UMaine owns a Hockey East 2004 Champion banner, New Hampshire gets squat.

I will offer a cash reward to anyone who can produce an image file with a
video capture of Umile rolling his eyes as his team gassed another one
against UMass.  Alternatively, someone should get set up for the broadcast
from Manchester, as I reckon the same will happen again next weekend.

Go Blue...not done at the FleeCenter in 2004...