ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:37:19 -0500
Read this on USCHO boards about the conference tournament this weekend in
Minneapolis:

"The Xcel is far from home ice for the Gophers.

Each team has the same "type" of locker room.

The ice is smaller at the Xcel Energy Center than Mariucci.

No season tickets [ed. for the conference series] include these games as a
part of the package. Anyone (including UND and tUMD fans) can buy them in
whatever quantity they want.

Besides, if this "home ice" was such a great advantage, wouldn't Minnesota
have won the title more times than they have? Wouldn't they win it every
year?"  end of quote

First...it got me mad - I was there to see Maine lose the championship game
to:  THE GOPHERS.  No one can deny the place was overwhelmingly pro-Gophers
and as "home ice" as you could have gotten.

THEN...it got me to thinking.  Those same Gophers won back-to-back National
Championships on NHL-size sheets of ice (in Minneapolis and then in Buffalo)
after their on-campus games on the Olympic ice surface at Mariucci.  New
Hampshire have played in Frozen Finals after home contests at the Whittemore
Center - an Olympic sheet.   What's Dick Umile's excuse ?

Laughing all the way to the time of the night game on Friday night...
Minutemen Shoot Cats !!! (btw the Mullins Center ice in Amherst measures an
unusual 95 feet wide, not quite the 100 feet of Olympic sheets but not the
85 feet of NHL rinks either)