ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Chesley, Clair" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:36:55 -0400
I have to put my 2 cents in on this one.  I really like hockey on "Olympic"
ice.  The game on the big sheet is more about passing and skating and less
about clutching, grabbing, and checking. And throwing the puck at the net to
see if something happens.  Granted the game is slower but all the great
passing and the puck control makes the game better (for me anyway) to watch.
And I also suspect that it is harder to play the defensive system that
Detroit plays.  It's easier to go around the trap when there is so much more
ice.
The Russians always played on the big sheet and that's why their skating and
their passing was so superior for so many years.  I'm guessing that even the
Russians that are playing today have  benefited from having been "brought
up" on the Olympic sized arenas.

My grandfather played when the teams skated 4 guys and a goalie.  He always
said that when they added the fifth skater that it spoiled the game.

That's my opinion;  I'm interested in other's.

Have a great day everyone!

Clair

GO BLUE!!!