ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:56:05 EST
>-Also the importance of these games on a national picture were brought up as no
> only is Maine competing for Hockey East position with UNH but when it comes
> NCAA time these contests are important as well. Of course this fact also
> probably helps as motivation in practice as if they really need it.

I like and agree w/Coach Whitehead that this year's team and chances
are "special"!

The team will see, this weekend through the rest of the regular season, the
toughest of schedules.  How those games are played will set the stage for the
HEA and NCAA tournaments ... we hope by bringing the team together with each
player knowing and excelling at their roles.

I think the team has had such great game outcomes this year that the national
picture isn't so important (until you get to the national tournament). Gone
is the NCAA "bye".  I suspect the only way to miss the NCAA tournament
is to "lose out" ... not likely. All that is left is confidence and seeding.
A great seed means playing 2 beatable teams to get to the Frozen Four; a lower
seed means we would have to beat a top-4 team for a helping of Buffalo wings.

My guess: some fans will be disappointed with the record in the next 10 games,
but Derek Damon will emerge to become an offensive leader ... just enough to ...

cheers, wayne