ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:24:37 EST
I missed this one, so thanks for the report, Jacob!

>-doesn't want to see MC in a first round series

   Compared to?

>-Doyle was fine on Friday ...
> when goalie isn't at his very best ...
>-Team has to be sharper to help off-night by goalies

   Does not compute.

>-Lowell a tough team this weekend, consistent goaltending will make them
> dangerous

   But then they have been without goaltending this year, with each duffle
   saving less than 85% of shots all year.

>-have to be sharp on PK and stay out of box, smart defensive hockey will give u
> a chance to win

   A chance to win?!  Gimme a break.  The seniors should be doing
   pushups in a snowbank with anything but 2 wins, IMHO.  Lowell had an
   early season win over Colorado College (part of a 2-game split), but
   has exactly *0* noteworthy wins since.  They are significantly last in HEA
   in team defense at 4.77 goals per game, while scoring under 3.

   Lowell does have a few seniors that can be dangerous (McGrane, Slonia
   and Concannon come to mind), so next year could be very tough for
   them.  On their positive side, Lowell has one of the best young coaches
   in the business in Blaise MacDonald.

>-Alfond sold out the rest of the year (apparantly for the first time ever)

   I think I reported this a couple of weeks ago (or I meant to!).  Even
   with the sell-out, admissions will be available at the door.  It is
   very rare to be turned away from the Alfond;  but a "standing roon
   only" ticket in a jam packed Alfond when UNH is in town may make
   seeing the game a challenge.

>-UNH vs. BU tonight - down to the wire one goal game

   UNH goalie Ayers has arguably had a year approaching Jimmy Howard. BU
   is at least a step back (from ME/BC/UNH), but I look for them to earn
   home ice in the HEA playoffs, with their position and Maine's position
   strongely influenced by their season ending weekend series (at Maine).

>-First place will likely comedown to the last weekend, ...

   I hope so!  Lots of hockey to play.

Miscellaneous --

Crazy, but I still worry about scoring. 52 of 101 goals by the seniors;
85 of 101 goals by juniors and seniors. That is 4.2 goals per game.
Martin Kariya has quietly led his team in goals and total points, while
being among the HEA scoring leaders. Give Marty the puck!

... and I'd rather hear all of your ramblings on our Black Bears ...

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
The College Hockey lists: Hockey-L and Hockey3 at http://lists.Maine.edu/