ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 23:10:50 EST
>> Good game tonight by all of our guys tonight...especially that fourth
>> line!! Gibson did well in net for the Huskies too!
>
>Interesting observation considering the impressions that Dan Hannigan
>and Larry Mahoney were giving on the radio.  They made mention of how
>the line was matched up with Northeastern's top line and they were
>having problems.  At one point late in the game Mahoney clearly spoke
>up against how he disagreed with Whitehead putting that line out there
>for a defensive zone faceoff against NU's top line.
>
>They were also critical of big, "borderline" hits that Mahoney thought
>they were getting away with.
>
>What did you guys think?  The radio guys espoused that the problem was
>that you had two smaller guys (Murphy and Greyeyes) and a guy (Lynch)
>playing his first game at forward.

I've mostly stopped listening to the radio this season while at the
rink, as Coach Mahoney complains about this or that, while providing
little color. He should stick to writing and broom-ball goalie, IMnsHO.

>How did Lynch look?

While another participant of this forum and I wondered why so many Maine
defenders were suited up, a person from Millinocket that knows a lot
more hockey than I, not too delicately pointed out Lynch was spending a
lot of time around the opponent's goal line ...  and was PLAYING
FORWARD, STUPID.  :-)

I thought Lynch and Maine looked OK.  Tonight's game was quite physical,
with the referee letting them play.  The difference from the previous
night may have been a little less intensity, a little better defence by
NU (especially on Kariya), and a lot more shots into the body of the
goalie (though Gibson played better than the Friday night NU goalie.

Maine's speed this weekend gave themselves lots of time to make much
better than usual shots and passes. That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

cheers, wayne