ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 23:55:57 EST
>Listening to the game on the internet, the ice sounded slanted during most
>of the game, and the reported SOG seemed to reflect this.

Not only was the ice slanted, but the "slush puppies" sold at the SE
corner of the Alfond would be better ice than what the teams had to put
up with.  The building was very warm and the ice was awful, with the
puck bouncing all over the place.

With the larger ice surface at UNH, it could be really tough down there
for Maine, but it's the ice surface that's larger, not the goal mouth,
so Maine may have to play for another low score.

How many shutouts will Maine get this season?!

>Not seeing the game, I ask those of you who were there-> were the whistles
>against MAINE a result of relaliations?

I thought it was a typical Gravelese game, in that (1) what deserved a
penalty remained something of a mystery throughout the game, and (2)
some of the penalties were "drawn" (staged), IMHO, with the ref unable
to see "all" of the play.

UNH had 3 and Maine only 6 penalties.  UNH had open men in front of the
goalie, but Maine cam play hard in the corners and did very well there.

By the way, I missed large portions of the game ushering as the fire
marshalls seemed to ignore and building occupancy limits, letting
7-gazillion people into the building.  Official attendance was 5641, I
think ...  the largest crowd in a long time ...  and one very supportive
of their Black Bears.  Nice turnout, students!

cheers, wayne