ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 18:35:51 -0400
> The comment *was* in reference to our strengths.  Specifically, Coach
> thought we could beat the (large, young) LSSU defenders down low ...
> and we did.  He thought we could beat the (fast transitioning) CC
> forwards in that a focus of the team and practice was our speed and fast
> (offensive) transition game.

I would not say we lost the transition game, but we certainly didn't win it.
Push.

> Certainly "we" executed the LSSU plan very well.  I didn't get to listen
> to the CC game much, but the first period seemed to have more Maine
> chances than CC.  Did CC make great adjustments during the 1st
> intermission, or Maine pay less attention to their snipers, or Maine
> take (relatively) too many penalties, or what?

CC dominated the second period from the start.  Maine closed the gap, but my
best recollection has CC putting 8-10 shots on goal before Maine got one.
They did appear to adjust during the first intermission better than Maine --
though it is hard to tell on the radio.

It was a close game, sans large portion of the second IHMO.  Maine had
better of the play late in the game as they tried to score.

> I'm sticking to my moronic predictions that for this team to excell, it
> must focus on defense, for they (other than Shields) won't score many
> goals, and Heisten must be more of an overall leader.  JMHO.
>
>    (Most people, I assume, would argue the large, experienced senior
>    class provides all the leadership needed and will score goals at an
>    unprecedented rate).

I agree completely.  When Maine was successful last year their defense
played well and they scored opportunistically.  The last couple years
(especially last year) we seem to go through this same type of evolution
where we think we are BC/UNH running up and down the ice when we are not.
Maybe it is a case of the defense needing time to get it together (quite
possible), but as talented as we are our forwards are still not world-class
snipers (Shields may be an exception *wink*).  We have to play good team
defense and counter-punch effectively.

CC did not maul Maine, but they got some chances and made Maine pay.  Maine
hit posts and crossbars.  Howard sounded like he did ok, we'll get a look at
Frank Doyle tonight.

Leadership is key.  Maine did not lose many players to graduation, but they
must replace the leadership of Peter Metcalf, who wore his heart and soul on
his Maine sleeve.  That has not happened yet.  Whatever Heisten did to get
suspended, was not a good foot forward in the leaderhip department.  Kariya
could step forward more as well.

-Deron