MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Kennedy, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kennedy, Felicia
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 09:41:20 -0400
FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Molyneux [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 11:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Summary library statistics

There are some summary statistics at:

http://www.nclis.gov/statsurv/summarystats.pdf

NCLIS occasionally entertains librarians from other countries as a part of a
State Department program. I prepared this sheet to summarize basic
statistics about US libraries for our visitors using the NCES data for
public, school, academic, and state libraries. On the second page, I added a
few figures up--even though they are for different years--to give an
asynchronous estimate of the size and impact of libraries using these four
sets of data.

Mary Jo did a similar kind of estimate for number of libraries and staff
employed at libraries at:
http://www.ala.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Our_Association/Offices/Research_a
nd_Statistics/Statistics_About_Libraries/Statistics_About_Libraries.htm

See the first two items. There are slightly different methods--hers is a
national estimate, for instance, but the totals for those two variables are
reasonably close. I also included an estimate of volumes at those four types
of institutions and total expenditures.

Bob Molyneux
Director, Statistics and Surveys
US National Commission on Libraries and Information Science 202-606-9181