MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Lord, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lord, Linda
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:15:13 -0400
The last two paragraphs are the critical ones.  Best, Linda

Dear Colleague,

            President Obama is calling on every American to volunteer
this summer and throughout their lives. The Administration just launched
a summer service initiative to showcase the importance of volunteer
efforts throughout the country. The initiative focuses on education,
health care, energy and environment, and community renewal.

            People who volunteer in libraries and museums make a real
difference. Examples of library volunteer opportunities include reading
to children, helping people find information on the web, and organizing
book drives. Museum volunteers help provide customer service to
visitors, support the administration of the museum, raise funds and
more.

            The Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) is
working in partnership with the Corporation for National & Community
Service, to get museums and libraries involved in this national
volunteer initiative. I encourage libraries and museums throughout the
country to use this initiative to engage new volunteers and to encourage
new projects.

            How can you get involved? Post your local volunteer
opportunities online at www.serve.gov <http://www.serve.gov> , and
encourage community members to visit the website to find volunteer
opportunities. Encourage your staff to volunteer and partner with other
organizations in your community to support volunteering. And plan with
others to make September 11, the last day of this summer initiative, a
day of service and remembrance.

            To learn more about the initiative, please visit
http://www.nationalservice.gov/about/initiatives/summer.asp  Thank you
for all you do to ensure that your community has access to great museum
and library services and resources! We have a unique opportunity to come
together and solve our nation's most vexing problems.

            Sincerely,

            Anne-Imelda Radice

            Director, Institute of Museum and Library Services

Mary L. Chute
Deputy Director for Libraries
Institute of Museum and Library Services
1800 M Street, NW, Ninth Floor
Washington, DC 20036-5802
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 202/653-4774