ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 11:21:33 -0500
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://www.portland.com/sports/college/hockey/020406black.shtml

                     Saturday, April 6, 2002

                                            Two fervent hockey states to play for title

                        By   STEVE SOLLOWAY, Portland Press Herald Writer

                      Copyright  2002 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

 ST. PAUL, Minn.  --  The two men, conspicuous in their University of Minnesota hockey sweaters, slid into a booth at Mickey's Diner. They checked the menu's lunch specials, then scanned the nearby tables. And saw the enemy. Three University of Maine fans, wearing their school's blue-and-white colors, gazed back at them.

Postures stiffened, words were exchanged. Then, everyone smiled.

Minnesota plays Maine tonight for the NCAA Division I hockey championship (TV coverage begins at 7 p.m. on ESPN). Passions are expected to run hot at the Xcel Energy Center.

But Friday afternoon, in an old-style dining car a block away from the arena, civility reigned.

"We let them know who was going to win the game," said Jeff Ellingson, 28, of Minneapolis, recounting the meeting. "They let us know they were going to win."

"We didn't give them the full business," said Jason Kuehne, 27, of St. Paul. "It was friendly, it didn't get nasty at all. We're not like that. This is Minnesota."

Visiting Maine fans, who have seen little of this state beyond the city limits of St. Paul or the nearby Mall of America, say Minnesota is just a bigger Maine.

Minnesota has more people, more snow, more trees and a boundless love for hockey. Maine fans walking into the Xcel Energy Center for the first time almost immediately noticed the high school hockey sweaters mounted on mannequins that ring the new arena.

From Anoka High to Mankato to Minnetonka to Roseau and South St. Paul. There was even an Orono, a town an hour's drive to the west. More than 180 high school hockey teams were represented.

"The Minnesota high school tournament is the best in the country," said Ellingson. "Ask anybody. This is the state of hockey.

"Greenway is four hours north and has only 80 kids in its high school. Two of them are coming to play for Minnesota next year. Imagine that."

Of the 26 players on the Minnesota roster, only one has an out-of-state address. Grant Potulny, a sophomore forward, is from Grand Forks in neighboring North Dakota.

Friday afternoon, Ellingson and Kuehne had front-row seats for Minnesota's practice. "This is the Gophers' year," said Ellingson, mindful that Minnesota last won a national title in 1979.

"I can't see Minnesota losing," he said. "I want to see (a score of) 6-1. Boy, it's going to be loud in here."

The arena seats 19,000 and every ticket has been sold. Scalpers have been active in the streets outside. Kuehne has heard offers of up to $700 for a ticket, nearly 15 times its face value. The men aren't selling.

Neither are Maggie and George Buzzell of Kittery. They have followed Maine to every Frozen Four since 1993, when the Black Bears won their first national title in Milwaukee.

The Buzzells, along with other relatives, flew into Minneapolis-St. Paul on Monday, having learned a lesson from 1993 when they nearly missed the semifinals game.

That year, Maggie drove from Kittery to Orono to get in line for tickets to the Frozen Four. She arrived at Alfond Arena at 10 p.m., prepared to sleep on the lobby floor. Campus security was about to evict them when Coach Shawn Walsh arrived to negotiate a compromise. The fans could stay, but the doors would be locked.

Maggie got her tickets. She and her husband boarded a plane for Milwaukee by way of Nashville, Tenn., early on the morning of the semifinals. Bad weather held them up in Nashville until they found a flight to Chicago.

They arrived in Chicago two hours before game time, rented a car and sped to Milwaukee. The game started while they were miles away. Maine fell behind by two goals as the Buzzells listened on the radio.

"We were heartbroken," said Maggie. "I spent the night on a cold floor at Alfond, and (then) not get the chance to see them play?"

They arrived at the Bradley Center in time to see Maine rally and win and go to the championship game, where the Buzzells cheered again.

Maggie made a large replica of a Maine hockey puck out of foam and cardboard for that trip in 1993. "Go Blue" is painted on one side. She waved the puck madly in Milwaukee, and again in Anaheim in 1999 when Maine won a second title.

It's with her in St. Paul, appearing only slightly tattered. She believes it will bring Maine good luck even as she cheers herself hoarse.

"We're going to be so outnumbered," she said, referring to the Minnesota fans that will surround her little group.

In 1993, Walsh instructed the Maine pep band to play the Wisconsin fight song to win over the Wisconsin fans whose team was eliminated in the regional tournament. It worked.

During Thursday's game with New Hampshire, the Maine band played the Minnesota fight song twice, hoping to win over any Minnesota fans watching that game. The hope was that if Minnesota lost its semifinal game with Michigan, it would join the Maine side today.

But Minnesota won.

"Maybe we can pick up the Michigan fans," said Maggie, although George looked doubtful. What about those New Hampshire fans who stayed in town after Maine eliminated their team, 7-2?

"No," said Maggie, shaking her head. "They would never cheer for Maine."

She might be right. Dick Martuscello, a 30-year New Hampshire fan from Dover, might sit on his hands while he watches Maine play Minnesota. But then, he might not.

"You're not going to see me wearing a Maine hat, but I'd like to see a team from the East win," he said.

He was standing in the Xcel Energy Center lobby with a sour look on his face. He had come to the arena and the adjoining convention hall for the presentation of the Hobey Baker Award, which goes to college hockey's best player. New Hampshire's Darren Haydar was one of three finalists.

Jordan Leopold of Minnesota won instead.

"Just another disappointment," said Martuscello with a shrug. "It's like I went to a funeral (Thursday). Today, I don't feel good.

"But I'm glad I came."

St. Paul isn't Atlanta and the Frozen Four isn't college basketball's Final Four. It's smaller, more personal, and yes, friendlier.

"It's hard to hate Maine," said Ellingson while Kuehne nodded. "Look at all they've been through.

"But so have we. I bleed maroon and gold (Minnesota's colors). I was in eighth grade the last time the Gophers went to the Frozen Four in 1989.

"I've been waiting ever since."

Staff Writer Steve Solloway can be contacted at 791-6412 or at: