ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 13:28:21 -0500
Notes from nearly six periods of watching Maine at BC:

Pre-game: Saw one party wearing Maine garb coming to Union Street in Newton
on Saturday.  You went downstairs to eat...we were upstairs at the bar,
watching the NFL and drinking real beer. Hope you enjoyed the visit.

Timing: If you have to lose to BC, it was in a way, the best time to do so
this season.  Friday would have been better than Saturday to post the L,
given that the second game was on a regional (national?) TV feed.  Not good
for an undecided potential recruit seeing the team, and wondering what is
happening with the Maine program. Other than the Alfond game nearly a month
away, any future loss to the Eagles will have significant effect on Maine's
road to Anaheim.

Fatigue:  This indeed could have been a factor in the second game.  One
reason: Shawn made frequent line changes for most of Friday's game.  This
kept BC off their game and contributed to the Maine win, but may have cost
a lot in fatigue the next game.

Coverage:  BC had the steps in most breakouts throughout the game on
Saturday.  The Gionta / Bellefeuille scoring was a story of setting up the
trailers. The trailer was uncovered.  Three-goal deficits lead to softer
coverage back, given the defence will hold the points tighter when scoring
is needed.  In Maine's favor, the first man was usually covered adequately,
and the goals were a sort of second-option play.

Choices: Was Bellefeuille trying to send Shawn a message as to why he chose
BC, rather than follow family and play at Maine ?

Inattention:  Bad tendency for Maine:  failing to cover the opponent
shortly after scoring a goal.  BC had very good scoring chances each less
than a minute after the first two Maine goals.

Sloppy:  What's the deal with ice resurfacing at BC ?  There should have
been a protest filed over the between-periods resurfacing being completed
with less than 1-2 minutes remaining before the next period starting.
Could BC find more stupid reasons to delay bringing out their ONE zamboni
to resurface the ice ?  If they want to commemorate their alumni, or hold
mini-games, bring out 2 machines and do it right, as the NHL requires now
these days.  The new surface should be allowed to set properly before play
begins. All I could think of was how Earl Weaver used to order the infield
grass grown longer for Orioles home games, to favor their stingy defence.

Maturity:  Saturday's game did not degenerate into goonery.  Heisten's
tossing was the most obvious sign of Black Bear frustration, but can be
easily cured.

Century:  Cory Larose indeed earned his 100th point on the first Maine goal
Saturday, with an assist on the Hiesten mark.  This score (Heisten from
Larose and Kariya) shows that line should be the #1 line all the way
through onto the playoffs.

Sympathy:  Our sympathy goes to Yale...someone has to play Maine after the
loss, and Portland could be the best spot for home cooking.

will have to inculcate to the squad over the remainder of the campaign.  BC
is better than UNH, after having now seen both teams play our Bears.

Prediction:  One of this weekend's teams, we think, will be shipped West
for the NC$$ round of twelve.  Personally, I'd rather see Eagles fly...

Is Yale on Real Audio ?

Dan Doucette

***  Isn't it fitting someone named Garth Snow is playing  ***
***            for a hockey team in Canada   ???           ***