ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:19:51 -0500
7bit
From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Pretty late response, Bob, but we're still trying to figure out if we'll
make the NCAA Tourney, so here goes ...

I am currently a member, but most years not.   I do it as much to make a
donation and get a pin as to get anything else from it.  The newsletter
is OK, but I'm one that thought it was GREAT when Dave Wollstadt wrote
and published it.  Some years, long ago, I joined because it got me
access to the Thursday or Friday lunch before home series.  Coach
(Walsh) would bring a couple of players to hang out and maybe make a
brief comment, and Coach and the opposition coach would address the
crowd.  Those were wonderful occasions for me, but attendance dwindled
after a time, and they were discontinued.  (I can't make evening
meetings such as Center Ice Club).

Now that I think about it, I dropped out about the time of the NCAA
investigations, some internal strife including the athletic department
taking over FoMH, and Dave finishing up ... although all that wasn't all
in the same year, as I recall.

But it has almost always been a small group ... maybe 300 max? Sometimes
many fewer.

I enjoy the banquets, as long as the hall is large enough for the
crowd.  I used to be very regular at these and participate in the
auctions, but now usually go only if invited, as a couple of times I was
seated at a table where a "stranger" was obviously not welcome.  One
women was quite miffed that I was placed at her table, as she was hoping
a player would sit with her ... and she wasn't afraid to let me know!  I
moved.  Anyway, with my ushering duties, I see a limited set of folks at
the Arena and never get to the pregame/intermission lounge, so I don't
really know the long-time big-time fans unless I see them at a Frozen Four.

So I think I'm writing and trying to say that FoMH is, to some extent, a
group that is used to enjoying the team amongst its own and at a certain
social level.  Of the 5641, there are probably 100 of these people and
another hundred, like me that pay the dues for whatever reason ... then
there are 5441 that just don't fit.  The Maine-iacs are certainly
another successful group, and I have no idea how well the new student
version of FoMH is doing.

Enough rambling for one night!     Go Blue!

best regards, wayne