ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:29:36 -0500
7bit
From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
PWR has a number of things about it that make it ugly (to me).  One is
called TUC, or teams under consideration.  A TUC is one with an RPI at
0.500 or above.  Even a tiny change (win or loss by a anyone) can
trigger someone's RPI to slip under or over the magic 0.500 mark ... and
that cascades into significant changes all over the place.  A trivial
example is if Maine had a win over a 0.500 team and that team went under
0.500, the absence of that win against a TUC might trigger a change in
one or several comparisons and result in a lower PWR.   See USCHO.com in
the PWR pages under Polls and Rankings or as a complete explanation as
you want.  If you want to do the research yourself, take a look at John
Whelan's page that allows you to see the detail of PWR with or without
any particular game:
http://slack.net/~whelan/tbrw/tbrw.cgi?2005/rankings.diy.shtml

cheers, wayne