ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:34:09 -0700
BU gets to host regionals because they make the effort to put in the
application and pick up associated costs as the sponsor institution.
They make the effort, where the other Boston area schools do not.  So
that is why BU is always the host at Worcester.

Give UMass and UNH credit, they submitted bids and got 'em.

Though I found it strange that an Eastern team (UMass) got a NCAA
Regional on their home ice.  At least the Verizon Center, while located
in Manchester, is not UNH's home ice sheet.

Portland and the CCCC was deemed good enough to host the AHL All-Star
game this past February, so I'm not exactly sure the reasons why the
NCAA might not have chosen them.  BUT, if you had to pick between the
Verizon Center (brand new 10,000 seat rink) and the CCCC, which would
you choose?

If we built a new rink in Orono, maybe we could host a regional there,
but Alfond, even with its addition will never host a regional.  Guess
you know which way I voted in the current blackbears.net poll!!  :-)

-dt