ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 11:18:41 -0400
No, not really.  I saw plenty of kids who went to the Army or tried making
it on their own before going to college when I was in school.  Obviously
Francis tried to take a different route and chose college later on.
Unfortunately the NCAA has rules with respect to age and competition.

At 21, he deserves as much of a chance as anyone to go to school.  I am not
sure he was even on a full scholarship when he came to Maine -- he certainly
wasn't considered one of the top prospects before the season started -- and
if so deserves even more credit.

No, you can't have 30-year-old NHL vets playing college hockey.  But if a
kid is eligible and wants to go to school and play hockey (no small
commitment there) then I say more power to you.

-dt