ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 23:34:15 EST
>From the radio broadcast UNH seemed to have the teritorial edge and it did
>not sound as if Maine played particually well for long stretches.  Howard
>kept Maine alive and stood on his head at times.

Yes, this was about right.  I think Maine is not a particularly good
passing team.  Hard working and skilled, but not with great ice vision.
The typical pass seems to be to the back skate ...  after looking in the
direction of the pass for a long time.  Although to be fair, many of
those never reached the back skate, as a defender stepped up and kept
Maine pinned in their defensive end.  I think Maine played pretty well,
but UNH is generally more talented.  Both goalies played very well, but
Howard was outstanding ...  and needed to be.

>Maine seemed to play better after Gare's goal.  Perhaps they were playing
>too defensively trying to hold onto a 1-0 lead.  ...

I thought both teams were a little tired in the 2nd half of the 3rd
period, with defensive lapses both ways.  Maine may even have had an
advantage in 2-on-1's .. but couldn't score.  Colin Shields was *really*
close to netting the winning goal late in the 3rd, whizzing the puck
just past an open far side of the net with a minute or 3 left in regulation.

>Maine now moves to 9-1-1 on the year by winning their sixth game in a row
>(undefeated in 9).  Maine will play Quinnipiac on Tuesday night before
>taking the Thanksgiving weekend off.

When QC was up here in October, they lost to LSSU and tied UNB.
Otherwise, QC is having a very successful season, as they are 9-2-1
overall (lost to Army tonight).  QC plays Northeastern tomorrow night,
before traveling to Orono on Tuesday.

cheers, wayne