ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:55:28 -0700
July 10, 2002
UMaine Announces 2002–03 Ice Hockey Schedule

ORONO, Maine- The University of Maine announced its 2002–03 men’s ice
hockey schedule today. The upcoming season features 37 games, including
20 to be played at Alfond Arena.

“We are very excited about the upcoming season,” said head coach Tim
Whitehead. “The Hockey East schedule is always challenging. We are
thrilled to be going to Alaska where we will get a chance to play
western powers Colorado College and Alaska-Anchorage. Another highlight
is a rematch of the NCAA East Regional game with Harvard which will be
played at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland. We are
excited to be going back to the Everblades Classic where we will face
ECAC power Cornell, who also competed in the NCAA tournament.”

The Black Bears open the 2002–03 campaign by hosting the Black Bear
Classic, October 11–12. Maine will play New Brunswick in an exhibition
game the first night before playing either Quinnipiac or Lake Superior
State University the following evening. The Black Bears then travel to
Anchorage, Alaska for the Nye Frontier Classic. Maine will play
Colorado College on October 18, and then face host Alaska-Anchorage the
following evening. The Black Bears then return home for non-conference
series with Western Michigan and Mercyhurst, before opening conference
play against UMass on November 9.

Maine hosts arch-rival New Hampshire on November 22. The Black Bears
close out the first part of their schedule by hosting Harvard in
Portland on December 15. The Black Bears will travel to Florida during
Christmas break for the third straight season for the Everblades
College Hockey Classic. Maine will play Cornell on December 28, the
opening day of the tournament, and then either UMass or Ohio State the
following night.

The schedule features exclusively Hockey East games during the second
part of the season. Maine will play home series with Northeastern and
UMass Lowell during January before travelling to New Hampshire for a
pair of games January 31 and February 1. The February 1 game will be
played at the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, New Hampshire. The
Black Bears will play home games with Boston College, Merrimack and
Providence all in February, before closing out the regular season with
rival Boston University February 28 and March 1.

In 2001–02, the Black Bears posted a record of 26-11-7 and finished at
the NCAA Runners-up, falling to Minnesota in the National Championship
game in overtime. UMaine head coach Tim Whitehead was selected as the
Spencer Penrose Award winner, signifying the National Coach of the
Year.

Full release with schedule can be found at:

http://www.goblackbears.com/hockeym/20012002/071002a.html