ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:05:56 -0500
Wondering what happened to the frequently-scratched freshman D, Paul Lynch ?

Thought you would like a story from today's Salem Evening News:
(tough to link from their site, so copied)

By BOB ALBRIGHT

  News staff

  BOSTON -- Paul Lynch had a bird's eye view to
  watch the action Friday night for the Hockey East
  semifinals. Situated in the front row of the Balcony in
  the FleetCenter with his dad, Paul Sr., and his two
  sisters, the Peabody product watched as the
  University of Maine topped its arch-nemesis Boston
  University, 3-2, to advance to Saturday's finals
  against UNH.

  It was a vantage point that many of the 14,000-plus in
  attendance would have gladly traded their tickets for,
  but for the freshman defenseman with the Black
  Bears, the only sight lines he cares about are on the
  ice with a pair of blue lines in front of him.

  Lynch sat out Friday's action and Saturday's game as
  well (won by UNH, 3-1), his ninth and 10th straight
  DNPs since registering a goal against Merrimack way
  back on Feb. 9. After playing in each of Maine's first
  18 games, it's been quite a reversal of fortunes to say
  the least for the imposing 6-foot-2 defenseman who
  has been relegated to the comfortable seats for 16 of
  Maine's last 18 games.

  That kind of inactivity tends to happen, however, no
  matter how talented the player when making the
  gargantuan step from junior hockey to one of the best
  college hockey programs in the nation. And no one
  on the Maine sidelines from head coach Tim
  Whitehead to one of the Black Bears' best players,
  Niko Dimitrakos, sees anything but good things in
  Lynch's future.

  "I really like Paul," said Whitehead enthusiastically
  after Friday's emotional win over the Terriers. But
  with one freshman defenseman, Troy Barnes, already
  ensconced in the lineup and a second, Matt
  Deschamps, seeing a lot of minutes, the coach
  decided to pull the junior Mike Schutte from forward
  to back behind the blue line last month, leaving
  Lynch's name absent from the weekend lineup list
  posted each Thursday.

  "He played a ton in the first half of the year and we
  made a decision a to move Schutte back to defense
  because we needed another veteran back there.

  It was just a matter that we had too many first-year
  players there. So, now it has been tough for him to
  get back in the lineup, but I like the way he plays. I
  think he's handled it very well and he did gain a lot of
  experience in the first half of the year, so if we need to
  go to him now I'm very confident. It wouldn't surprise
  me if he gets in for us down the stretch here."

  That "stretch" begins this weekend in the NCAA
  national tournament, which will likely see Maine get
  an at-large bid to play in the East regionals at the
  Worcester Centrum. If Lynch does indeed get out of
  the balcony in Worcester and on to the ice it will just
  be an added bonus for the two-time national champs
  who clearly view him as a long-term growth fund as
  opposed to a short-term commodity.

  "He's played well, but it's just that when you get out
  of the lineup and someone moves in and plays well it's
  kind of tough to get back in," said the senior forward
  Dimitrakos, who netted the game-winner Saturday.
  "It's a tough team to crack the lineup with. He's got a
  lot of potential. He's got a lot of size and we know
  that he can shoot the puck and skate, so he'll be fine."

  Whitehead also thinks that Lynch's balcony days are
  numbered.

  "As far as long-term goes, I think he's going to be a
  hell of a player," said the coach.

  Whitehead was a fifth-round draft choice of the
  Tampa Bay Lightning in 2001, but opted for Maine
  instead after playing a year of juniors. "He skates
  well, his attitude is positive, and he works extremely
  hard. He's in the weight room all the time."

  Lynch is doing his best to keep site of the big picture
  and knows that spots on Hockey East contenders
  aren't given out lightly.

  "The year started out pretty strong, but I have sat out
  quite a few games," said Lynch, who tallied two goals
  and six assists in 22 games while keeping his penalty
  minutes to a minimum (24). "It's tough. You want to
  be out there, but then again you've got to go with the
  coaches and what they feel is best for the team."

  While he feels that the year in juniors helped ease the
  transition from high school where he starred at
  Brooks Academy, he still says it was a case of
  baptism-by-fire when he first hit the ice this fall with
  Maine.

  "The tempo has been a lot quicker than I could have
  imagined. From the first practice I was getting blown
  away," recalled Lynch. "It's something that I had to
  just keep working on adjusting to the speed. The
  forwards are twice as fast and twice as strong and it
  takes some getting used to. I think once the first game
  came around I was a little bit used to it and as the
  games went on it got a little bit easier."

  Despite the limited playing time, he has no doubts that
  he made the right decision to make the four-hour trek
  up to Orono, a sleepy little town that hails Pat's Pizza
  and the tap room below as its downtown.

  "I'm loving it up there. There's not too much going on
  and it helps keep you focused on hockey and your
  school work," he says.

  "The road trips have probably been the best thing so
  far, just hanging out and getting to know the guys. We
  played out in North Dakota and there were like
  11,000 fans there going crazy. That's probably the
  best experience I've had so far."

  A national championship would certainly trump that
  and Lynch says the team is not lacking confidence
  heading into the NCAAs. The team also has the extra
  motivation, he points out, to raise a third banner to the
  roof of Alfond Arena to honor the coach, who
  brought the first two back to Orono, the late Shawn
  Walsh.

  "We've got the shirt to symbolize him," said Lynch of
  the ceremonial shirt that is on the bench each game to
  commemorate the coach, who posted a 399-215-44
  record in 17 years behind the UMaine bench before
  succumbing to cancer before the season. "Every game
  it gets passed off to a different player who showed his
  excellence the game before. It's been tough,
  especially for the older guys, but we feel like he's with
  us and will be there for us down the stretch."