ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 07:42:12 -0800
Another classic NCAA Tournament game for Maine last night.  If you missed
it, Maine beat Minnesota 5-4 in overtime Friday night to advance to the
NCAA Quarterfinals.

I thought Maine was lucky to be tied after one period, but the Golden
Gophers got their share of luck as well in this game.  I believe that two
of the four UMN goals should not have counted.  Their first goal
*appeared* to have been covered by Matt Yeats and the puck was knocked
loose and eventually knocked in.  The fourth goal should have never
occured.  A Minnesota player was laying on top of Yeats in the crease
while Minnesota had possession of the puck along the offensive boards.
The play should have been blown dead for a man in the crease.  The
subsequent goal was knocked in with a stick at about chest level and was a
good goal.

Marty Kariya proved (once again) that he is a Kariya and he has ice in his
veins.  Maine tied the game when Francis Nault threw the puck on net.
Somehow the rebound came to Kariya just outside the crease to Minnesota
goalie Adam Hauser's right.  Kariya had the poise to pass across the
crease to Michael Schutte who buried the puck with 2.7 SECONDS left in the
game.  I don't know of many other players who could make that pass with
just seconds left in an NCAA Tournament game and his team down by a goal.

Despite allowing 4 goals, Matt Yeats was outstanding.  He stopped two
breakaways in the last minute of the third period while Maine was
desperately trying to tie the game, and he had another breakaway glove
save in overtime.  That save had me flashing back to Alfie Michuad in 1999
and Blair Allison in 1995 vs. Michigan.  A terrific save.  I don't fault
him with any of the goals really.  There were two excellent tips by UMinn
and the two goals that I mentioned above.

Maine hit a bunch of posts (4 by my count) and really deserved to win this
game.  They played with heart and passion and would not be denied.

Maine will play Boston College at 8:30 tonight.  The Black Bears owe Brian
Gionta and company after two embarassing losses.  All the pressure is on
BC.

I told my wife that I was pleased that this team made the NCAA Tournament
(who would have thought that in January when Gionta deposited 5 goals in
the first period on us?) and this was "gravy time" because everything from
here on in it is "gravy".  I'm very proud that this team beat Minnesota
last night.  Good luck tonight!!

GO BLUE!!

-Deron