ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:24:14 -0800
Since I started the thread, let me add a bit more to it.

First, I was in Boston so I did not find out about this till I
returned home, but according to someone who did watch Maine-BC (very
trustworthy, university employee), the announcers were talking about
how Walsh downplayed the game PRIOR to the game.

In fact, they talked about it all night and even made some "mocking"
remarks... even during UNH/BC... which I watched in person and also on
tape-delay.  Now a lot of you have jumped up to tell me not to make
accusations.. they are not mine, but that of Fox Sports New England,
and I *highly* doubt they would talk so much about if they weren't
sure it was actually said.

Now, you can all write in and tell me not to question the virtues of
Coach Walsh, but the fact still remains that he downplayed this game,
just like he downplayed the UNH series.  The result, 0-3 record in
three very big games.  I was in Boston with many of you being as
supportive as anyone to our team and I even stayed on Saturday to
support those teams.  I'm sure our players are even more disappointed
than any fan possibly could be and sure they wanted to win even more
than we could imagine.

Arguably, Maine could be a very hungry team on Friday!!  :-)

I'm not saying that Maine trying to throw the game, or that no one
wanted to win.  I'm simply wondering what the motivation was.  Maybe
it was to keep Maine loose?  Maybe it was to keep them hungry?  I am
finally, not saying Walsh is a bad coach or Maine a weak-minded team.
I am simply trying to understand the logic.

Walsh has won 300+ games and I've won zero (also lost none too!  :-),
so if Maine puts it together and goes to Anahiem (or better) I'll be
the first one to say that he pulled off another ingenius coaching move.

==
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
GO BLUE!  BEAT OSU!!