ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:07:18 -0500
8bit
From:
Penny Morton <[log in to unmask]>
Well, I'm glad that all of you took such an interest in my column, even
though most of it was negative.  I have a few things I'd like to
address, however.
First:
Dan-Patricia Smith?  Correct me if I'm wrong but Ms. Smith was a
columnist for the Boston Globe who fabricated information in her work.
Throwing such accusations at me is probably not the best way to give
yourself credibility.  Sorry to disappoint, but everything I mentioned
in the column happened.  Are you suggesting that because I didn't
mention the name of the opposing team that I don't know what I'm
talking about?  We had no trouble getting tickets to the game, only
trouble getting tickets to what I thought was a student section.  I
don't think what I wrote was obnoxious, I think it was my view on a
topic that many students have been talking about.  I do not make any
claims to being faultless, and I omitted my friend's name to protect
the guilty and obnoxious.  And by the way, I'll be back at both the
games and in the paper,( I guess someone thinks I'm a pretty good
"writer"), sorry to disappoint again.
Second:
Wayne-I apologize for what sounded like a shot at the ushers.  You seem
like a really nice and helpful man, which is not the kind of usher we
ran into.  The ushers I saw were giving kids a hard time, insisting on
seeing tickets, etc.  I shouldn't have made such a rude generalization.

I admit that there is a level of rudeness one can achieve and certain
rules should be followed.  I don't harbor ill feelings towards every
non-student fan in the balcony, there were certain older fans in the
audience who seemed to fire students up even more with their
participation, (one fan was throwing oreos at the crowd.)  However, I
think that the fact that the students don't have their own section is
argument enough by itself.  I'm not a "spoiled brat" by any means, and
I think a lot of the college students who are getting thousands of
dollars into debt to come here would take serious offense to that
comment.  The university supposedly exists FOR the students BECAUSE of
the students.  I didn't say that $8000 gives me "a license to do
anything" I want, but I do maintain that it gives us the right to our
own section.

Thanks for reading my column and responding,
Penny