ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 13:37:56 EST
Someone quoted someone written someplace ...
>But of course we had to slip past the militant ushers checking tickets,
>like God >himself gave them the jobs.

Everyone has their own perspective, I guess.  :-(

The ushers are volunteers.  We sometimes make requests or demands for
your own safety or the safety or convenience of others in attendance,
but we are neither fire marshalls nor police.  The ushering crew answers
to a head usher and arena management.  Maybe an elaboration of some of
what we ushers do might help us all have a better time ...

Many (and I mean *many* ...  this is pre-balcony Alfond) years ago, the
ushers checked tickets and only then allowed entrance down to seats.
One of my favorite stories is of one of the ushers who denied entrance
to the then Chancellor of the University System.  No favorites with him!

Today, the ushers are there to help make the event more safe and
enjoyable for everyone.  At least that's our charge and what we try to
accomplish.

Sometimes this rubs people the wrong way and that is unfortunate.  As
one of the ushers you will see there and may deal with, I assure you
that the ushers are not trying to be obnoxious, although we may try to
direct you in a few instances.

   (Please accept this description to be my take on ushering, and is not
   necessarily the view or policy of the University.  This description
   is primarily of the North and NorthEast end of the Alfond.  In other
   areas, ushers have differing concerns).

When you first enter the arena and reach the railing around the "L"ower
sections of seats, you'll probably notice one or more ushers.  They
(normally me) concentrate on two areas.

First, we want to make sure that, if you are unfamiliar with the arena,
you know the general location of your reserved seats and how to get
there.  *I'll* only ask to see your tickets IF YOU ASK:

   * "Where is the student section?"

     If you're a student, then your ticket is in the student section.

     If you are a "Maine-iac" your ticket will be for that section,
     unless it is full.

   * "Where is section U?"

     Section U is at the South end of the arena, but unfortunately there
     is also a "Level U".  Despite my best attempts, management has
     continued to print a level letter on the tickets along with the
     section letter(s).

   * "Where is section L?"

     Section L is right behind me, but unfortunately, all ice-level
     (lower-level) seats are labeled Level L.  I'm aware of a dozen or
     more people that are confused by this each game.  That probably
     means that many more are confused or frustrated each game.  Despite
     my best attempts, management has continued to print a level letter
     on the tickets along with the section letter(s).

     Note: If you come very early and sit in Section L, I will check
     your tickets.  I do this because all tickets in the section are
     season ticket holders and thus somewhat familiar to me.  This
     allows the ticket holder to find the appropriate seat long before
     the crowds make it difficult.

   * "Where are my seats?"

     (self-explanatory)

I may offer to help you find your seats.  This most often happens when
you're holding your ticket in front of your face and appear to have a
glazed look.  Sometimes it's because you're dressed in the colors of our
opponent of the evening.  Sometimes it's because a bunch of people have
"delayed the traffic pattern" ...  which leads to ...

Second, because the walk-ways in that area are narrow and frustrating
traffic jams of people trying to get from here to there can and do
occur, we discourage standing in the immediate vicinity.

   Later, as game time approaches, we "enforce" the no standing rule
   more vigorously.  (Basically, the only places to stand are along the
   rail under the sky-boxes or back away from the walk-ways in or near
   the lobby).

In some areas this rule exists to prevent blocking the view of someone
sitting, watching the game.  In most areas this rule exists to maintain
"mobility" of all attendants.  The fire marshalls and management have
come up with this rule ...  and it certainly is a difficult one to
enforce ...  but IMHO is it a necessary and good rule.  How this rule is
enforced is mostly left up to the ushers, fire marshalls and public
safety officers.  Whether any one person or group is approached probably
depends on a number of factors including where, when and for how long
they've been stuck in one (poor) place.  Some nights I talk with many
people ...  other nights there is no problem.  During the Lowell series,
there was very little problem Friday night and no problems Saturday.

   No one wants to have their behavior "controlled" or "altered" or even
   "judged", and that is why I call this a most difficult duty.

Later (game time and beyond), the ushers have little to do and try to
stay out of the way.  Lots of things come up from "Where's the rest
room?" to seeing that someone hit by a puck gets appropriate attention
to ushering late-comers to their seats (when requested).  We're also
available for any other question or concern you might have and will try
to get you connected to the right person to solve any problem or address
any concern.

>Eventually my friend was kicked out of the Alfond for being too obnoxious.
>(I wasn't >aware that you could be too obnoxious at a hockey game, but
>apparently you can.)

Dealing with obnoxious people is the second-leading cause of turnover of
ushers.  I'll let you guess at the first, but remember we tend to be
OLD.

Most of the ushers have private lives where respect and integrity are
experienced and expected in all their dealings.  We have little
experience with "obnoxious" people and don't really understand the
behavior ...  nor do we probably handle it very well.

That said, it is not an usher job to "kick" someone from the Alfond.
Though I won't go into that incident, public safety officers did
apparently eject a person from the Alfond.  And he was obnoxious!

   In my view, there were 100-150 people in the general area having a
   great time at the game with a very few causing a problem.

Finally, I suppose I should drag this letter out some more to explain
usher actions in the balcony.  (For several years, I've moved to balcony
during the 3rd period of games).  The charge is the same as described
above:

   The ushers are there to help make the event more safe and enjoyable
   for everyone.

If you are lingering on the walk-way or an aisle or sitting or standing
on a railing, you'll hear from us.  Again these rules are not made up by
the ushers, but we're charged with enforcing them while respecting each
attendee individually.  I think the reasons for these rules is
self-evident, but if you don't understand or disagree with or don't like
something, talk with the appropriate arena management.  We're blessed
with excellent people that will listen to your concerns.

Also, drinks of any sort are not allowed in the balcony.  Drinks (sold
at the concession stand) are allowed anyplace else.  Too many people
with seats under the balcony understand completely why there is this
prohibition.  You may be careful and have the best of intentions, but
please don't take drinks into the balcony.  Even a small inadvertent
spill will severely affect the experience of someone below!

Another hat that I occasionally wear is that of season ticket holder (in
the balcony!).  I'd rather watch the games, but I've been asked, by
people I respect, to usher.  Last season, season ticket holders
basically held the 1st three rows of the balcony.  Only STHs in the band
area were forced to move elsewhere, but all STHs where given the
opportunity to move elsewhere.  Even though "better" seats might have
been available elsewhere, several people chose to stay (and I applaud
the University for giving them this choice!).  These STHs should expect
noise and exuberant people around them.  They shouldn't have to endure
obnoxious people (nor should anyone at such an event).

Guess I'm an easy mark for responding to such potshots :-)

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3