ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Lindsay A Huntoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 21:33:37 -0500
Thanks to Deron for posting Ms. Morton's article to the newsgroup.  I read
it with great interest.  It really struck a nerve, so I felt compelled to
post my thoughts about some of her comments.  Hope I don't tick too many
people off!!

>On Saturday night, I attended my first hockey game of the season,expecting to
>have a good time heckling the other team, cheering on the Black Bears and
>generally being obnoxious with my friends.

I attend numerous hockey games each season, love to heckle the other team,
and cheer on my beloved Black Bears or Bruins.  In fact, there are plenty
of games where I walk out of the rink without my voice.  Why does one have
to be obnoxious to have a good time.

>Our yelling and cheering was met with stares and complaints.  A man
>sitting below us >with his son became upset at the language that one of my
>friends was using and >voiced his complaint.  At this time, I was still
>unconcerned and believed that the >man was right. We were sitting with
>families and should have been respectful.  We >decided to steer our loud
>friend toward the balcony seats where we thought being >obnoxious was
>allowed.

I think this comment does a disservice to the majority of Maine students
who attend the games.  Being obnoxious is not a prerequisite to sitting in
a student section.  .

>But of course we had to slip past the militant ushers checking tickets,
>like God >himself gave them the jobs.

the ushers are only doing their jobs, and should never be faulted for that.

>What really pissed me off, though, was when the non student fans in front
>of us >began to get agitated at our antics. I don't go to a hockey game to
>have someone >shower me with dirty looks because I'm screaming. It's a
>hockey game, people, not a >round of golf.

Judging by the language that this person uses in the article, it seems like
the people around them were more upset at what was coming out in the
scream, rather than the actual screaming itself. I scream and yell at
hockey games; and in the twelve years I've been following the Black Bears
and the Bruins, I've NEVER been told to shut up.  I'm all for someone
rooting for their favorite team, but there are limits.

>Excuse me? Who the hell sits down at a college hockey game? We continued
>to stand, >yell the remainder of the game, to the man's distaste, I'm
>sure.

Again, the language...  I will admit that I like to stand up on occasion,
but will sit down if I'm preventing someone else from enjoying the game.
The person sitting behind me has as much right to enjoy the game as I do.

>Eventually my friend was kicked out of the Alfond for being too obnoxious.
>(I wasn't >aware that you could be too obnoxious at a hockey game, but
>apparently you can.)

Three cheers for the usher who had the courage to do this.  I bet the
entire section was behind him too.  How many times have you heard a whole
section cheer when people who are fighting or an obnoxios drunk are thrown
out of a game.

These people sound like spoiled brats who think that paying $8000 in
tuition gives them a license to do anything they want.  Getting kicked out
of the Alfond is minor punishment.  We could lose our Bruins season tickets
if we (or someone who uses our tickets) get out of line.

Enough said; lets play hockey.

Lindsay A. Huntoon
Go Black Bears
Anaheim or Bust in 1999!!!!

*  Let's hope that Harry Sinden has enough  *
*  sense to keep Peter Ferraro with the     *
*  Bruins, instead of on the Providence     *
*  shuttle                                  *