ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 05:15:32 EST
Bravo, Wayne!  Great post from one who remembers the way everything started!

Walsh & Semler each brought certain gifts to Maine Hockey.  Each of them
deserve a great deal of credit for their achievements.  Let's not get too
fierce about comparisons, if for no other reason than you are comparing apples
to oranges.

One thing, though, I have to agree with Bill Demianiuk that Jack Semler and
the boys from before get overlooked in the gloss of later years, and they DO
feel it.  Alumni communicate that often, when contacted, and they say to us
"If Coach Semler's there, then I will come, too".  He rarely comes.

One reason is the lack of anything more than a photo on the wall to prove they
were once a part of this great program.  Now that it is a multi use /multi
sport facility, there will probably not be anything more on the walls.  We
have a sponsor for a placque for top scorer each year, but no place to put it.
And before we all chime in with "Put it there", we have asked.  No go.  Maybe
someday when we take down other stuff!

Cathy Hart
Proud Volunteer for the Finest College Hockey Program in the Nation!