EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:49:30 EST
In a message dated 03/24/2002 10:30:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I don't think Pound would have welcomed the printed comments of amateur
> poets any more than he welcomed the printed comments of academics.
>
> An interesting fantasy side bar to the story of the anthologist and the
> stone mason would have been if the anthropologist had turned to the
> all-knowing stone mason and said "Well, my good fellow,  now that you have
> identified the tool please construct another wall just like that one".
>
> Rick Seddon
> McIntosh, NM, USA

gee whiz, if this is an indication of your thought, it's hard to believe that
Pound would have agreed with anything you say, including the notion of
"amateur poets."   I mean, that's really funny.  Should we be considering
'pros' -- like you, for instance?  Do you really think that Pound would have
had any sympathy for the anthropologist, and preferred him to the stone
mason?  I'm pretty confident that Pound would have found the projected
rejoinder of your mythical anthropologist just as snotty as I do.  I'm
equally certain that brother Pound would have concluded that the stone mason
would be much more likely to be able to construct the wall than the
anthropologist.  Indeed, if you think otherwise, as you apparently do, I
suggest that you take five or ten years and reread Pound; you seem to have
missed the tenor of his sentiment entirely.

joe brennan....