EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:55:52 EST
Discussions like this thread on who's an anti-Semite and who isn't, are
troubling to me.  On the one hand, it's true that a lot of Jews find all or
most critics of Israel to be anti-Semitic, and on the other hand it's just as
true that anti-Semitism is as rampant today as it has ever been, and that
anti-Semites use criticism of Israel as cover to express their hatred of
Jews.  These discussions, which tend to digress into accusations and denials,
are generally absent of any generosity towards each other.  The lack of
empathy in this particular discussion does not reflect admirably on the
participants, and indicates -- to me, at least -- that there's more than just
misunderstanding and/or disagreement at work here.  It seems perfectly clear
that those who bait each other in discussions as volatile as this one are
operating in a dimension other than that of honest disputation.

joe brennan