EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 02:29:50 -0500
Carroll and Sarab make very nice twins, don't they?
Each equally objective and balanced in their totally
unbiased readings of history?
==Dan

At 10:00 PM 03/19/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Sarab Nihal Singh wrote:
> >
> > I would prefer to go to the root cause of this chronic problem mentioned in
> > Bob's email and sign a petition against Prophet Mohamed for his war crimes
> > against humanity. He has caused the most ideological and ethnic
> cleansing in
> > known history. The psychotic freaks (Aurangzeb, Ghazni, et al) in his
> > tradition have done worst damage than Israel or US can do in all of Islam's
> > pathetic, enslaved and oppressive colonies.
> >

>I did not respond to Bob's email because at least once before on this
>list he has confused Jews witrh Zionists -- and that is unacceptable for
>several reasons. First, though of secondary concern, is that a group of
>Pound lovers (which I assume most of us are) should be quite careful
>around the subject of anti-semitism But of greater, and more politically
>relevant concern, is that the chief, perhaps the _only_ serious weapon
>in the hands of criminal Zionism (the phrase is really, now, redundant)
>is precisely the identification of anti-zionism with anti-semitism.
>Without this protection, Israel would stand revealed clearly to all for
>what it is and has been -- a criminal state, an ally of tyrannical and
>racist regimes around the world (e.g., it was, next to the United
>States, the warmest friend of apartheid South Africa, and it was the
>conduit for a good deal of U.S. aid to the murderous thugs known as
>Contras in Nicaragua).
>
>Israel's very existence is a crime, and the bloodshed now going on in
>Palestine is _wholly_ the fault of the Israeli state. Israeli terrorism
>(the state was born in terrorism and has been a perpetrator of terrorism
>fever since) is not the only but it is a major element in the conditions
>that have given Al Quaida terrorists the popular support (or illusion of
>popular support) that any terrorist organization needs, to maintain its
>morale if for no other reason: men who could have relatively peaceful
>and prosperous lives do not lightly throw away those lives as did the
>perpetrators of 9/11.
>
>As for Islam and Muhamed. The post I am responding to is ridiculous, but
>I'll just focus on a couple of points here.
>
>First of all, one might say that Islam was virtually the inventor of
>religious tolerance, and for a thousand years while Jews were being
>persecuted in Europe the Islamic countries provided a place of refuge
>not only for Jews but for "hetetical" Christians. Most of whatever
>culture medieval Europe possessed they owed to the Arabs and Islamic
>culture. (Arabic numbers came from India, but it was the Arabs who
>introduced them to europe.)
>
>Secondly, for 50 years the United States has pursued an unrelenting
>savagery (often using "fundamentalist Muslims as its tool) against every
>democratic or secular movement in the Middle East and South Asia. It was
>the U.S. that destroyed Iran's best hope for democracy, Mossedegh. It
> [...]

Dan Pearlman's home page:
http://pages.zdnet.com/danpearl/danpearlman/

My new fiction collection, THE BEST-KNOWN MAN IN THE WORLD AND OTHER
MISFITS, may be ordered online at http://www.aardwolfpress.com/
"Perfectly-crafted gems": Jack Dann, Nebula & World Fantasy Award winner

Director, Council for the Literature of the Fantastic:
http://www.uri.edu/artsci/english/clf/

OFFICE:
Department of English
University of Rhode Island