EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:54:03 -0500
Glad to be corrected, Dirceu.
The further irony in all of this for me,
as one who has been deeply immersed
in the work of both Frost and Pound, and
familiar enough certainly with Cummings's work
as well, is that both Pound and Cummings remained
essentially romantics, i.e., pre-moderns in vision
of the world, whereas the prosodically more
conservative Frost was far more the
modernist in mentality.
==Dan

At 04:48 PM 03/13/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear Professor Pearlman:
>
>        I didn't say or imply that Frost was a poor
>devil who wrote some verses in the late century. I
>only pointed out the fact that cummings was deeply
>interested in making a substantial difference inside
>the poetic language. He invented a whole new
>conception of verse. But it's pretty clear that Mr.
>Frost has done a nice job, too.
>
>                            Best Regards,
>                                         Dirceu Villa
>
>--- Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > I couldn't agree less.  Frost's overriding idea of
> > the sentence
> > sound, "the sound of sense," though hardly as
> > splashy as
> > Pound's "Make It New," did much to undercut the
> > genteel
> > voice in early 20th-century American poetry.  Each
> > contributed
> > greatly to changing the way poetry came to be
> > written after
> > their innovative early work.
> > ==Dan

>Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free email!
>http://mail.yahoo.com/

Dan Pearlman's home page:
http://pages.zdnet.com/danpearl/danpearlman/

My new fiction collection, THE BEST-KNOWN MAN IN THE WORLD AND OTHER
MISFITS, may be ordered online at http://www.aardwolfpress.com/
"Perfectly-crafted gems": Jack Dann, Nebula & World Fantasy Award winner

Director, Council for the Literature of the Fantastic:
http://www.uri.edu/artsci/english/clf/

OFFICE:
Department of English
University of Rhode Island