ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Wollstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 16:51:22 -0400
Maine's record was 14-5 against both Bowdoin and Colby. Both series started
in 1923 (!); the last Maine-Colby game was in 1984, the last Maine-Bowdoin
game was 1989. Maine and Bowdoin played one game during each of the 1984-85,
85-86, 86-87, and 88-89 seasons, with Maine winning all four. Maine and
Bowdoin split a pair of one-goal games in the 1983-84 season. Maine beat
Colby twice during the 1983-84 season but split two games the year before.

Why did Maine stop playing Bowdoin and Colby? I don't know the official
reason, but my guess is the desire to schedule more division 1 opponents,
especially after Walsh arrived. As a Bowdoin alumnus, I attended as many of
these games as I could, and particularly in the later years, it was clear
that my Polar Bears were outmanned by the bigger Black Bears. Bowdoin had
some pretty good Division II/III teams, typically led by a couple of
fast-skating forwards who weighed 160 or 170 pounds. Generally, the Polar
Bears would skate pretty good during the first period, but the Black Bears
would wear them down and take control in the last two periods.